SUMMARY OF ROLE
The community relations executive is a graduated professional preferably from the social sciences. He/she will have a minimum of three years working directly with communities throughout Chile. Knowledge of environmental and indigenous legislation is a distinct advantage.
The candidate will live in the Biobío Region and be responsible for engaging with stakeholders in the region relevant to Mainstream´s projects Entre Ríos and Alena in order to carry out community plans developed by the External Relations Team. The selected candidate will be in charge of the day to day relationships with communities, informing on projects, answering questions, organizing meetings with Project Managers and external affairs team and actively involving communities to establish long term work agreements. The candidate will have the ability to engage with communities of different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, and will inform the Project Manager and External Relations Team of the community context and possible social risks.
• Form part of the Community Relations Team, carrying out all community relations work on the field.
• Propose community relations strategies to Project Managers and External Affairs Manager and Team to obtain the project´s social license to operate.
• Inform Project Manager and External Relations Manager and Team on all relevant community issues and social risks.
• Reach agreements with communities to obtain social license for projects and contribute to local development.
• Identify community leaders,
• Present Mainstream and explain project to community,
• Obtain information on community´s livelihoods and life systems,
• Obtain information on community´s opinions of Mainstream and its projects,
• Inform External Relations Manager and Project Managers of relevant community issues and risks,
• Propose context appropriate methodologies to the External Relations Team to inform community,
• Organize community meetings,
• Support Project Manager and Community Relations Team in informative community meetings,
• Write minutes of community meetings,
• Perform workshops on community development priorities to agree on long term work plans,
• Propose issues to be included in community strategy,
• Propose community communications materials to be developed,
• Track all community stakeholders and documents in Mainstream´s community relations management system,
• Support Community Relations Team in drafting reports, tracking commitments, and other needed work.
• Organize all community meetings and ensure all materials are available as needed.
RELATED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Professional degree in social sciences, and at least one year of experience working in community engagement.
• Knowledge of participatory methodologies.
• Knowledge of environmental and indigenous legislation preferred.
• Knowledge of English preferred.
• Ability to engage with individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic background,
• Ability to perceive the non-written rules and dynamics of the community organization.
• Patience to adhere to other people´s and cultures´ times.
• Capacity to engage in dialogue with individuals and group leaders of a diversity of backgrounds.
• Count with organizational skills for planning meetings.
• Able to think strategically.
• Able to perceive cultural norms and unwritten rules.
• Able to anticipate problems and propose a viable solution.
• Able to anticipate social risks that may affect a project.
• Show initiative to propose work methodologies and solution to problems.
• Have a courteous and helpful manner.
• Able to maintain respect and confidence with others.
• Be a good team worker and work well other others.
• Able to communicate clearly to varied groups of people
• Must be able to travel to Santiago sporadically.
• Must have a valid Chilean driver´s license.
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form.