Mainstream Renewable Power is a renewable energy development company with operations in North America, South America, South Africa, UK offshore and Germany offshore. Our core business is to develop, build and operate renewable energy plants thereby helping to build a sustainable future – globally and locally.
Mainstream Renewable Power South Africa has a large wind and solar development pipeline in South Africa. In December 2011, the company’s three lead projects were awarded preferred bidder status under the first round of the South African Government’s Renewable Energy Procurement Programme (REIPPPP). All three projects now have a Power Purchase Agreement with the Department of Energy for 20 years of electricity supply.
In October 2013 Mainstream secured preferred bidder status for an additional 360MW of renewable energy projects in the 3rd round of REIPPPP. Mainstream will continue to participate in future procurement rounds and has as objective to keep on leading the RE industry in South Africa and Africa.
This position will be employed by Loeriesfontein Wind Farm Ltd., an operating wind farm located in the Northern Cape. This is a top management position for the project and while it is to be based in Cape Town, frequent travel to site will be a feature of this role.
The Manager: Enterprise Development (ED) and Socio-Economic Development (SED) will take overall responsibility for the ED and SED Strategy and Plan for Loeriesfontein Wind Farm and the seamless implementation thereof against set milestones and targets. The ED and SED Manager will act as a point of contact for the local community, communicating and distributing key project information. This is a top management position which requires a dynamic and confident candidate. Further key responsibilities of the role are:
- In-depth understanding of the Socio-Economic needs of the region.
- Responsible for ED and SED compliance and implementation.
- Preparation of ED and SED reports and forecasts for shareholders, financers and the Department of Energy (DoE)/IPP Office.
- Monitor contractor ED and SED compliance and report to the relevant Mainstream managers and structures, the Owner of the project, and the DoE.
- Conducting periodical audits on preferential procurement and job creation elements of the scorecard.
- Establish and prepare governance framework for Trusts.
- Identify potential local trustees through formalised and agreed processes.
- In-depth research and identification of key partners and stakeholders.
- Extensive relationship building and positioning with key partners/organisations locally.
- Identifying key local champions to become third party advocates of projects.
- Prepare and develop key project factsheets.
- Communicate progress with the achievement of significant milestones and progress to the local community and stakeholders.
- Building strong relationships with all relevant local partners/stakeholders/ authorities/ communities/ businesses/ local government and local media.
- Identify key community risks and opportunities to be managed at the local level.
- Liaise with Mainstream Project Managers and Site Managers.
- Co-ordinate with Contractor Community Liaison Officer.
- The focus of the ED and SED Manager will be to take responsibility for the SED and ED requirements of the Loeriesfontein Wind Farm, but may include providing support to other project companies as directed by management.
Education and Experience
- The candidate must be fluent in both English and Afrikaans.
- The preferred candidate will have experience in the South African development sector in some or all of the following areas:
- Education and skills development;
- Socio-economic development (SED);
- Enterprise Development (ED) and SMME development
- Food security and agri-support;
- Meeting energy needs (hot water, heating, etc);
- Maths and science development;
- Information Services / Technology (IS / IT) development;
- Women empowerment initiatives;
- The successful candidate will likely have:
- Worked as a community development / engagement / liaison role for the private sector or local government.
- Knowledge of the renewable energy project development sector and the process to develop utility scale wind and solar projects would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of the SA Government’s renewable power procurement process.
- Social science or economics degree or development studies related degree
- Minimum 5 years relevant applicable experience.
- Working with SA government and traditional communities (advantage).
- Understanding and experience of community social dynamics.
- Understanding and experience of local government dynamics.
- Understanding of legal environment for community engagement and development.
- Ability to communicate and engage effectively with local communities.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills, as well as good interpersonal relationships.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Drivers licence.
The position will be based in Cape Town with regular travel to Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape as well as to Johannesburg as required. Some international travel may be required however this will be infrequent.
Mainstream Renewable Power is an equal opportunities employer. In this specific instance preference will be given to female applicants from a historically disadvantaged background in accordance with the Loeriesfontein Wind Farm’s affirmative action objectives.
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form.