Mainstream is a world leader in the development of offshore wind projects with a track record of over 7.5GW in development in Northern Europe. As a senior member of the New Markets team, this position helps set the direction of the overall US Offshore business. The individual is expected to translate broad goals into achievable steps, help set and manage appropriate expectations, handle detailed and complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues.
The individual will be required to establish strong and appropriate relationships with the Executive Director for New Markets, team, board, partners, industry and stakeholders and develop smooth and constructive relationships.
The candidate will have a combination of strong technical capabilities, as well as strong commercial and business development experience with good communication skills and the ability to convey information clearly and effectively.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
Key responsibilities will include, but not be restricted to:
• Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director for New Markets and other directors to ensure that Mainstream meets its overall offshore wind objectives.
• Lead all US offshore activities and position Mainstream to win contracts in upcoming auctions.
• Build an offshore wind team in (Location TBD) and position Mainstream as a leading offshore developer in the US.
• Evaluate partnering opportunities around existing sites.
• Lead on identifying new offshore sites on the East and West Coast.
• Be a leader in applying the latest technology in offshore wind to win business for Mainstream.
• Expand the Mainstream offshore wind activities to other markets as required.
• Provide input in short- and long-term strategic and operational planning and positioning within the industry and organisation.
• Take a proactive role in the formulation of future strategic objectives of the Offshore team.
• Ensuring safety for all offshore employees and partners, in accordance with the Mainstream SHEQ policy and systems.
• Responsible for the continued development of Health and Safety, Environment & Quality systems, working closely with the Mainstream SHEQ manager.
• Responsibility and ownership for all operational aspects of the offshore business
• Ensure all offshore development is carried out in keeping with the organisation’s values, mission, vision and plans and that all crucial development issues are met responsibly and effectively in a timely fashion
• Co-ordinating overall offshore operations strategy, direct key managers responsible for operational activity and have accountability for finance, quality, health & safety, human resources, project management.
• Responsibility for the US offshore business operations budget planning and management. Assume responsibility for delivery on time and within budget. Provide management reports of Operations status and activity reports to assist decision making that will be made with other senior executives in the company at periodic board and management meetings.
• Developing relationships with partner companies working in collaboration to support existing and future projects.
• Maintain a current knowledge base of the market and state of the art in renewable energy and workforce resources of the company. Recruit relevant staff needed for business operations. Conduct performance and development reviews.
• Responsible for the implementation of quality and risk management systems within the offshore business, working closely with the company’s competent advisor.
• Once the UK offshore position is re-established, ensure Mainstream retains its position as world leading offshore development company. Build and maintain profile in existing and new markets.
• Appropriately represent the company within industry and at external events
• Be a motivator and driver of morale for all members of the offshore team
• Ensure that Mainstream values are a part of every workday
• Will have a high public profile to further develop the Mainstream brand and broaden Mainstream’s network of influence. business.
This will be a challenging and demanding role, that requires previous senior level experience of the energy (generation) sector, in the Ireland and internationally. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate progressively responsible positions within both operations and general management and will have a first degree and technical qualifications relevant to the business and the direct responsibilities of the role.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a person who relishes a challenge, has business flair and a thorough grounding in power generation, particularly electricity generation and Renewables. Preferably gained in organisations that have managed projects internationally.
• Be a strong manager and mentor, capable of lateral and strategic thinking and with the drive and imagination to, working with the Executive Director and other senior colleagues, grow the company to the next level and beyond.
• As a manager be open to discussion, able to manage and to motivate staff, allowing them freedom of expression and room to develop, yet able also to ensure that the company maintains a clear sense of direction and purpose. Good communications skills, able to work effectively at all levels within Mainstream and with various partner companies will be essential.
• Have the ability to express themselves clearly both orally and in writing, to make presentations and to negotiate with potential clients.
• Ideally have experience of acquisitions and, as a strategic thinker and member of the management team, be able to identify, evaluate and negotiate the acquisition of businesses that would enhance Mainstream Renewable Power’s profile, presence and capabilities.
• Have experience of setting and achieving targets and budgets and a rigorous, hands-on approach to performance management, control and planning.
In order to be considered for this role, a candidate will have had to demonstrate a strong track record of delivering operational results at a senior management level in a relevant environment. They will have the ability to lead, influence and engage others effectively across business and reporting lines.
The candidate will bring clarity and clear strategic direction to the operational issues within Mainstream and will work to identify and implement the necessary commercial solutions. As a highly proactive and focused individual, the candidate will gain immediate recognition and respect within the company and the Offshore/Renewables community.
Of equal importance, will be the candidates’ willingness to function and lead a small tight knit management team where they will have a very diverse ‘hands on’ role.
The successful candidate will have the following mix of technical and soft skills:
• Extensive energy sector experience preferably in electricity generation operations and offshore experience in renewable or the oil and gas sector including a number of years at a senior management level.
• Must be knowledgeable of all aspects of power generation, possess an understanding of transmission and distribution
• Possess supervisory and project management skills. Profit and loss experience as well as budgeting and forecasting the needs of the division are required.
• With energy sector operational experience, the candidate must have a solid understanding of market and operations issues facing Mainstream.
• A self-starter, the candidate will have the ability to organize and manage highly skilled multi-disciplined technical staff and projects. Prior experience of leading, coaching and managing teams in a rapidly changing commercial arena will therefore be advantageous.
• Clearly a strategic thinker, the successful candidate will possess strong analytical skills readily identifying and pursuing commercial opportunities.
• The candidate will therefore have experience in economic evaluation of investment opportunities and have the capability to make sound operational judgments from a technical, as well as economic perspective.
• Be able to communicate effectively at all levels. The nature of this role and the culture of the company will require the candidate to persuade rather than tell. Therefore, the candidate must be comfortable influencing a highly trained team exercising diplomacy and sensitivity. With a high team ethic, the candidate needs to possess strong negotiation and technical writing skills.
• Team Management
• Business Development
• Planning & Organizing
• Business Winning
• Project Estimation & Management
• Communication & Influence
• Achievement/ Drive
• Strong Presentation and Writing Skills
• Need for Excellence
• Analysis/ Problem Solving
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our http://mainstreamrp.com/careers/apply-online/