Mainstream is in particular targeting the development of large-scale renewable energy projects (wind and solar PV) in Ghana. As most areas have limited grid capacity, a big part of the role will be focused identifying grid projects focused on increasing the grid capacity in a chosen area and investigate possible reinforcements of the network thereby allowing for further penetration of renewable energy.
The Mainstream environment is particularly suited to self-motivated, energetic, conscientious, enthusiastic and capable people with strong entrepreneurial skills, a bias towards innovation and creativity in the face of business challenges. We are seeking an experienced, driven professional with strong commercial acumen, who can work independently, to expand and grow our business in Ghana.
The New Business Manager Ghana will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing a plan to ensure shareholder value creation by delivering sustainable growth over the next 5 years.
- Leading a team with a clear mandate to develop, build, and operate a market-leading portfolio of renewable energy assets in Ghana.
- Building and leading a strong entrepreneurial team that will deliver industry-leading performance in the region.
- Making Mainstream values a part of every workday and live them by leading by example.
- Providing leadership across the business in Ghana including origination, structuring and execution, financing, tendering, bidding, construction, and operations.
- The commercial success of Mainstream in the Ghana market.
- The securing of commercial offtake solutions for renewable energy projects as a primary objective in driving the overarching aim.
- The positioning of Mainstream as a recognised leading renewable energy player with stakeholders in the region.
- Procuring customers from local or central government and/or private sector organisations who may wish to enter into power purchase agreements for renewable electricity or wish to invest in project equity to acquire projects, in whole or in part, at key milestones such as planning/consent, financial close or commercial operation.
- Leadership & day to day management of the local team including their recruitment, development, retention, evaluation and motivation.
- Interactions with Government (be it central or provincial), politicians and civil servants and representative bodies and trade associations to influence energy policy relating to renewables and Mainstream’s business objectives.
- Monitoring and intervening, where necessary, in relation to renewable policy and support and working in conjunction, where necessary, with other industry players and influencers to effect business supporting policy outcomes.
- Specifying customer expectations and requirements, for instance what technology, demand scale and shape is required.
- Proactively managing JVs and all associated relationships on behalf of Mainstream.
- Promote the Mainstream brand through written articles, other media, conferences and events.
- Secure a social license for each of Mainstream’s projects by ensuring that Mainstream engages early, often and respectfully with the communities located near Mainstream’s projects, or impacted by them.
Person Specification – qualifications, skills, experience and attributes:
- Effective communication is key to success of this role.
- The candidate will be a proven Business Development and General Manager who has successfully led teams to develop and deliver large-scale energy projects through their full life cycle within Africa. Specific renewables experience across the full value chain will be helpful.
- High energy levels, flexibility and self-motivation with a real entrepreneurial spirit will be critical factors for success.
- A strategic thinker who understands the importance of a clear vision and focused mission with measurable outcomes.
- Experience of policy influence at the highest levels will be a distinct advantage.
- A proven ability to network, including a demonstrable existing influence network within the region is desirable.
- Superior communication skills.
- Experience of contract negotiations and associated risk evaluation and mitigation.
- Ability to establish business objectives in line with the company’s mission and to implement these effectively.
- Strong experience in budgeting, cost control and financial management, with strong project management skills.
- Exposure to, (while being credible and comfortable interacting with) corporate finance, private equity, investment capital providers and government.
- Experience with product introduction, business building and development.
- The appointee will need to gain instant credibility and must be able to lead, on the ground.
- A degree in Business, Engineering or Finance and at least 10+ years’ General Management experience in energy, preferably renewables, power generation or electricity supply.
- This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, committed individual to become a central contributor to the long-term success of this values based, highly competitive and industry leading growth-oriented business.
To apply for this vacancy please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form.