The Senior Lawyer is a graduated lawyer with at least seven years’ experience since graduation. S/he will have a minimum of five years working directly with real estate, construction, and energy transactions. Knowledge of environmental and mining legislation is a distinct advantage. Experience in the power industry (renewables or conventional power would also be a benefit).
The candidate will be responsible for obtaining and negotiating land contract, easements, mining rights agreements for MRP projects and associated access roads and grid connection lines. S/he will also be responsible for performing land title review studies, drafting bankable lease and easement contracts, advising developers on all legal aspects of land contracts and registering them in the corresponding land registry.
The Senior Lawyer will work in Santiago and report directly to the Head of Legal Services, Chile.
Purpose of Job:
• Provide with regulatory advice on grid connection and transmission matters
• Support the Development team in drafting and executing legally enforceable land and mining rights agreements for all land required for MRP projects
• Support the Construction Team by analyzing BOP contracts and negotiations with contractors and subcontractors.
• Support corporate governance for AMSA and its associated SPVs
• Work with the AMSA Management Team and their teams to reduce the cost of third party legal advisors and consultants
• Provide legal advice to the Construction Team on BOP contracts and negotiations.
• Assist corporate governance documents for AMSA and its subsidiaries
• Mining rights:
o Work with the Project Manager to negotiate third party mining rights
o Design and apply strategies to obtain third party mining rights or other agreements that will nullify the risk of existing 3rd party mining rights
o Procure and control mining rights monitoring services
o Enhance, maintain and control templates for all land and mining rights agreements required for Chile wind and PV projects
o Assist Project Managers in the drafting, negotiation and execution of land agreements including but not exclusively leases and easements
o Liaise with AMSA legal advisors to ensure bankability of the project contracts and deal with exceptional issues
o Assist in the process of signature of the leases with Notaries
o Register land leases and easements in the corresponding Conservator
• Store and control legal documents for AMSA and its subsidiaries
RELATED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Education and Experience
• Professional law degree, with minimum of five years of experience working with real estate, construction, land, mining rights and corporate governance preferably in power sector.
• Holding a Master Degree in an international law school is preferable.
• Knowledge of energy, civil law and construction legislation is mandatory.
• Knowledge of Environmental and mining legislation preferred.
• Knowledge of English mandatory.
Organisational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to engage with individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Negotiation skills
• Planning skills
• Able to think strategically
• Able to anticipate problems and propose viable solutions
• Use own initiative to propose work methodologies and solutions to problems
• Have a courteous and helpful manner
• Able to maintain respect and confidence with others
• Be a good team worker and work well other others
• Able to communicate clearly to varied groups of people
• Must be able to travel within Chile occasionally.
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form