SUMMARY OF ROLE
Reporting initially to the Financial Controller, Chile and later to the Financial Planning and Analysis Manager based in Santiago, this is a key role in the finance team who will work in conjunction with all members of the department to ensure compliance with local tax and central bank regulations as well as meeting standards for financial control over balance sheet accounts in the Chilean companies and providing support to the wider business.
Chile continues to be a primary focus for the Mainstream group due to its success in winning in excess of 1.5 gigawatts of Government contracts in highly competitive tenders. From a global perspective our success in these government tenders has been particularly notable because we won these contracts in direct competition with new fossil fuel generation, demonstrating that wind and solar power are now outcompeting new fossil fuel generation on a grand scale. In 2016 Mainstream was exclusively awarded supply contracts equivalent to approximately 1.2GW of wind and solar capacity in Chile, representing a 30% share of the auction. These contracts will be supplied from the almost 2000MW pipeline of projects that Mainstream has been developing in Chile since its arrival in the country in 2009. During 2017 we made very solid progress in preparation for bringing these projects to financial close in 2019, in order to start supplying energy in 2021 and 2022.
In August 2017, our joint venture with Actis, Aela Energia, obtained US$410m in project financing for the Sarco and Aurora wind farms, which have a combined capacity of 299MW, bringing the Projects to financial close. By December of 2017 the first foundations had been laid and wind turbines blades had arrived in Puerto Montt in January 2018. Both projects will be completed within the next year and together will provide power to the equivalent of 460,000 households.
• Preparation and submission of monthly and annual tax declarations and resolution of Chilean tax office enquiries. Ensuring that the Chilean statutory books comply with local tax requirements. Preparation of information as may be required by compliance advisors in other jurisdictions as appropriate.
• Resolution of queries raised by the Chilean IRS, supporting and with the support the Group’s tax advisors where necessary
• Response to questions from other teams as to the required legal form of invoices, tax deductibility of certain expenses and similar issues
• Preparations of such declarations as may be required by the Chilean Central Bank
• Preparation of GL account and bank reconciliations and ensure the resolution of reconciling items, and assist with preparation of such commentary as may be necessary.
• Support audit processes including statutory accounts preparation, tax reporting and any sales due diligence processes.
• Implementation and continuous improvement of internal controls, processes and financial systems, under management of the FPA Manager, Financial Controller or Group Finance, to ensure Mainstream global processes and controls are adhered to.
• Provide financial support to FPA Manager, Financial Controller, Regional HR and Project Managers as required.
Desired qualifications and experience:
• A high calibre Chilean qualified accountant (5+ years PQE)
• Strong organisation, communication and interpersonal skills required.
• Confident self-starter with the ability to act on own initiative, high levels of energy and motivation, with a commitment to meeting deadlines. An interest in the renewables industry will be a significant advantage
• Experience in preparation of all monthly tax declarations, annual sworn declarations and provision of information to the Chilean Central Bank.
• Experience of Microsoft Dynamics or another high-end accounting software package.
• Intermediate English required, Fluent English a significant advantage.
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form.