SUMMARY OF ROLE
In a move to ensure the onward management and growth of the Chilean business the role of Technical Director, Chile has been created. As a member of the Chile Senior Management Team this position will help to set the direction of Mainstream’s Chilean business. The successful candidate will be expected to take full control of all project and technical management functions and to deliver the projects that will supply Mainstream’s 3,300 GWh tender win in 2016.
The Technical Director, Chile will be required to develop constructive relationships, aligned with the corporate strategy of the external affairs team, with government departments and agencies in Chile particularly the Ministry of Energy and CNE, partners, industry, communities and project stakeholders including indigenous and non-indigenous communities.
The candidate will have a combination of strong general and project management skills coupled with outstanding technical capabilities. S/he will have solid commercial, technical and business development experience with good communication skills and the ability to convey information clearly and effectively. The candidate must be fluent in both Spanish and English.
- Responsibility and ownership of all project work and technical activity at Mainstream Chile.
- Directing key managers responsible for health and safety, construction and pre-construction, engineering, development, energy analysis, and operations and maintenance
- Work in close collaboration with the General Manager (GM) Chile, and the senior team in Chile to ensure that the Mainstream Chile business meets its overall objectives.
- Provide input to strategic and operational planning and positioning for Mainstream Chile
- Responsible for managing and keeping up to date Mainstream Chile’s Integrated Management System (IMS) and ensuring that all project activities are undertaken safely to the agreed standard
- Ensure all work is carried out in keeping with the organisation’s values, mission, and vision
- Responsibility for generating, managing and controlling all project and technical budgets
- Provide management reports on projects progress against schedule, budget, and quality objectives.
- Substitute for GM on boards / steering groups and stakeholder meetings as and when required.
- Assist GM to drive key cost reduction initiatives and lead on any related specifically to projects.
- Be a motivator and driver of morale for all members of the Chile team.
- Ensure that Mainstream values are a part of every workday and live them by leading by example.
- Secure a social license for each of Mainstream’s projects by ensuring that Mainstream follows the strategy set by the external affairs and communities team by engaging early, often and respectfully with the communities located near the projects or impacted by them.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
This will be a challenging and demanding role, that requires previous senior level experience in the energy (generation) sector in Chile and internationally. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate progressively increasing levels of responsibility within project management, technical management, and general management and will have at least a primary degree in engineering.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a person who relishes a challenge, has business flair and a thorough grounding in power generation, particularly electricity generation and renewables. Preferably gained in organization’s that have managed projects internationally.
- Be a strong manager and mentor, capable of lateral and strategic thinking and with the drive and imagination to, working with the GM and other senior colleagues in Chile and Dublin, grow the company to the next level and beyond.
- As a manager be open to discussion, with an ability to manage and to motivate staff, allowing them freedom of expression and room to develop, yet able also to ensure that the company maintains a clear sense of direction and purpose.
- Good communications skills, able to work effectively at all levels within Mainstream and with various partner companies and stakeholders will be essential.
- Have the ability to express themselves clearly both orally and in writing, to make presentations and to negotiate with potential clients.
- Ideally have experience of acquisitions and, as a strategic thinker and member of the management team, be able to identify, evaluate and negotiate the acquisition of projects or businesses that would enhance Mainstream Renewable Power’s returns, profile, presence and capabilities.
- Have experience of setting and achieving targets and budgets and a rigorous, hands-on approach to performance management, control and planning.
In order to be considered for this role, a candidate will have to demonstrate a strong track record of delivering project results at a senior management level in a relevant environment. They will have the ability to lead, influence and engage others effectively across business and reporting lines.
The candidate will bring clarity and clear strategic direction to the project and technical work within Mainstream Chile and will work to identify and implement the necessary solutions.
The successful candidate will have the following mix of technical and soft skills:
- Extensive energy sector experience in electricity generation including a number of years at a senior management level, preferably having managed the development, construction and operation of Wind and Solar PV renewable projects
- Experience contracting for large scale capital projects; EPC, Financing, PPA’s, Grid Connection.
- Must be knowledgeable of all aspects of power generation, and possess an understanding of transmission and distribution networks, and their operation, in Chile.
- Possess supervisory and project management skills. Profit and loss experience as well as budgeting and forecasting the needs of the business are required.
- The candidate must have a solid understanding of market, policy, power sales, and operations issues facing a company like Mainstream in Chile.
- A self-starter, the candidate will have the ability to organise and manage highly skilled multi-disciplined technical staff and projects. Prior experience of leading, coaching and managing teams of project managers and engineers in a rapidly changing arena will therefore be advantageous.
- A strategic thinker, the successful candidate will possess strong analytical skills readily identifying and pursuing commercial opportunities.
- The candidate will have experience in economic evaluation of investment opportunities and have the capability to make sound operational judgments from a technical and economic perspective.
Be able to communicate effectively at all levels. The nature of this role and the culture of the company will require the candidate to persuade rather than tell. Therefore, the candidate must be comfortable influencing a highly trained team exercising diplomacy and sensitivity. With a high team ethic, the candidate needs to possess strong negotiation and technical writing skills.
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and cover letter using our online application form.